Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Forever Young

You know, life is funny...

When Alexis was born, I was determined to keep her "on track." I made sure that she did everything on time. At age one, I took her bottle away with her binky following closely behind. She learned animal sounds, body parts, a little sign language, many songs, read multiple books, etc. I wanted to be a "good" Mom, so I made sure to follow every little tip to keep her on top of her game. I was so caught up in all of the "right" things to do for a baby that I watched her baby years fly by before my eyes.

Now, with Michael, I find myself trying so very hard to keep him a baby as long as I possibly can. Not that I don't try to do the same things for him that I did for Alexis, but I realize that it doesn't have to happen on the "timeline." So why am I thinking about all of this??? Michael graduated to the next level in school daycare last week. Slowly, the teachers have allowed him to spend more and more time in his new big boy classroom. Yesterday, he stayed from 9:30am until it was time to go home. He ate at the big boy table and not in a highchair, he played outside and in the big room instead of staying inside, he had lesson time, he used his binky at nap time only, he drank from a cup not a bottle, and the one that really got me...he slept on a big boy cot and not in a crib! And the boy actually slept! I have to admit as the teacher is telling me all of this and how wonderful it is, and how the baby is almost washed out of him...I started to tear up.

I'm not ready for Michael to be a big boy!

1 comment:

Heather said...

This makes me sad too! While I'm proud of Michael, I put my self in your shoes and think this could be Hudson soon.... oh no! I guess it's time for more babies :-)