
So, the time has finally come to register my little Alexis Belle Bird for Kindergarten. I can hardly say the word Kindergarten without tearing up. How in the world is my little baby girl ready to start big girl school?
I can vividly recall a nice sunny, warm day back in May of 2006. Alexis was six months old, and I was driving home from a quick grocery trip. Along the way, I saw several signs and multiple balloons congratulating the soon-to-be graduating class of 2006. Tears streaming down my face, I called Kevin and sobbed, "Alexis is going to graduate high school someday..." You can imagine the shock and amusement on the other end of the line as my dear husband gently reminded me that she was only 6 months and her graduation would be a long time coming.
However, we are now about to start down that road...my little girl is all signed up for Kindergarten. I went to the website and read everything that I needed to have with me in order to register the little angel. Birth certificate, social security card, 2 documents of residency, immunization record, dental record, hearing/vision screening...it's amazing what all is required to get a little 5-year old registered to start school.
I was at the door when it opened to register nervously wondering what crucial piece of paper I forgot at home. When I walked into the media center, I was handed yet another form to fill out and an official file folder. That got me...I was to inscribe Alexis' name on the official Cobb County School folder that would follow her throughout her educational journey. After quickly swiping away a couple of tears, I began filling out the necessary paperwork and folder in my best penmanship possible.
Quite proud of myself, I sauntered up to the "checkout" line if you will. I handed the lady my stack of papers (I even made copies so they wouldn't have to and brought the originals for them to see and feel, which they did), and I was told thank you and to have a good day. That's it? No props for having it all together? No pats on the back for my nice printing on the official folder? No congratulations, you now have a fully registered Kindergarten student? Didn't they realize that I just registered my little baby girl for school for the very first time?
I'm not sure what I expected, but the entire event was anticlimactic for me. However, when I picked up Alexis from pre-K, and I told her that I went to her new big girl school to sign her up for Kindergarten, I finally got what I was looking for...a BIG beaming smile with BIG wide eyes and a HUGE hug from my newly fully registered Cobb County School Kindergarten student.

No comments:
Post a Comment