It is indeed Kindergarten Eve in the Bird household. Everyone is asleep but me. I can't stop thinking about our Alexis starting kindergarten tomorrow or worrying that I've forgotten something. I don't know why I feel so anxious, but alas, I am. I also don't know how I think I could have possibly forgotten something; I've checked the supply list over about a thousand times, and zipped/unzipped her school bag at least as many times to ensure that her snack and lunch money haven't jumped out on their own accord. I told myself that I wasn't going to do this, but here I am...a nervous kindergarten mommy newbie.
But...as much as I worry, the Lord has blessed us yet again and is desperately trying to calm my nerves. On Friday, Alexis and I were able to catch the school bus for a dry run if you will. She and I were out at the bus stop when we spotted the bus driving down our street at 7a.m. on the dot. Alexis has the nicest bus driver, Ms. Dana. She's been driving for 20+ years and was so sweet to Alexis. You can ask Kevin, I've been incredibly nervous about the bus, so this ride-along was perfect for me and fun for Alexis. She is even ready for the unexpected as the bus broke down not long after we boarded. Not to fear, another bus arrived to pick us up, and we were on our way!
Backing up to Thursday night, Kevin and I were able to meet Alexis' teacher, Mrs. Casto. Another win, the teacher's name is easy to pronounce and spell. I fell in love with the principal immediately and just as quickly with the teacher. Heading down the hallway to her classroom, I spotted an "about me" collage for each teacher. I noticed that Alexis' teacher roots for the Cubs so I know this is going to be a match made in heaven. Mrs. Casto is amazing! I don't think I could have asked for anyone better suited for Alexis. She even called Alexis today to talk to her and tell her how excited she is to see her tomorrow. Alexis met her at sneak a peek on Friday and agreed that she seemed nice. After Alexis talked to the teacher, it was my turn. She put my mind at ease and let me ask her any last minute burning questions. Of course, I had a few because Alexis threw off the game plan when she decided that she wanted to buy her lunch tomorrow instead of pack it. Phew! After I hung up the phone, Alexis danced around the room exclaiming how excited she was for school tomorrow! Ahhhh, music to my ears.
So, now we sit and wait to send our baby off on the bus tomorrow morning for her first big day of Kindergarten! Somehow, I think Alexis will do much better than her mommy and daddy.
Sunday, August 14, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Jen this is so sweet. You'll be so glad you wrote this years to come! I'm glad to know I'm not the only sad and panicked mommy.
Post a Comment